Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

GlossyBox - May - Second Anniversary Edition





Two years seems to have flown so fast for GlossyBox as they reached their second anniversary in May this year. Although I haven't been there since the beginning (about 6 months in I jumped on the bandwagon) I still feel very much of a Glossybox veteran and my subscription has remained strong since the start of my love affair with blogging.

After last month's amazing box of goodies I was ready for a bit of a disappointment in the birthday edition - well with the highs there comes inevitable lows after all - but nestled amongst the special edition tissue paper were some pleasant surprises and a whole lot of value-for-money.

Awapuhi Wild Ginger (by Paul Mitchell) Shine Spray - full size 125ml £18.95
With my fine and must-wash-every-day hair, I was initially sceptical over seeing a shine spray in my box. I mean, I have enough grease on my own thank you without encouraging it even more! But this spray proved to be a nice light mist that didn't weigh down my already lifeless mop. Mind you, I went nowhere near my roots - just to be on the safe side - and stuck with the lower half of my hair. For fear of sounding like an advert - it actually did give a lovely soft feel to my hair and a natural, healthy shine. The smell was nicer than I expected, quite a sweet ginger and not one I would have picked, but pleasant anyway. A nice bonus is the fact that it was full size - this spray costs nearly £19 to buy in a salon or online, ouch! Not sure I'll repurchase at that price but it was a great product to try this month.

Jelly Pong Pong Fairy Lashes Mascara in Black - full size 8ml £15
Another full size treat?! GlossyBox you spoil me so! Jelly Pong Pong has appeared a couple of times in past GlossyBoxes but as make-up items go, I'm always fairly pleased with their offerings so am happy to try more. Fairy Lashes is their first ever mascara and this water resistant formula is an absolute dream to apply. The formula is extremely lightweight and it feels like I'm wearing nothing at all - believe me you need to try this to appreciate it's nothing-ness. It definitely adds curl to my lashes but does little for the thickness and I end up with a very 'fluttery' but less intense look. I'm keen to share this more in depth with you, so keep an eye out for a review to follow soon...

Beautiful Movements Cosmetics Prime & Create Mixing Medium - 2.5g sample size - full size 20g £20
From the make-up brand formerly known as BM Beauty and founded by ex-Pussycat Doll Kimberly Wyatt, comes this little tiny wonder gel. Beautiful Movements Cosmetics have created a primer and mixing medium in one, that allows you to create lots of different make-up finishes from just one product. Now it does contain Silica, so bear that in mind if you're prone to break outs. I love it as a primer base for my foundation (it feels like a more luxurious version of the Collection Prime and Ready from a previous beauty box) and it gives a lovely smooth, matte, shine-free finish. But I also like the idea that I can mix it with mineral powders and pigments to create a different application of a colour. I've got loads of shadows that would look amazing as liners...

Collection Fast Stroke Eyeliner in Black - full size 6ml £2.99
Talking of Collection... Another full size offering this month was Collection's liquid black eyeliner. You don't normally see me sporting the harsh black line which is often associated with such eye make-up - I tend to opt for a more blendable creamy liner - but on the odd occasion when one requires a 60's look or the classic Cleopatra flick then this does the job perfectly. It does exactly as it's meant to in terms of liquid liner application and it stays put well under a bit of dry eye-rubbing. A little moisture starts to smudge it but you need a good eye make up remover to shift this at the end of the day. Overall a great classic product that every girl needs in her make-up bag.

Headline Colors Nail Polish in Gunmetal - full size 10ml £9
The final full size product this month was a nail polish by Headline Colors (formally Killer Colours). I got the Gunmetal shade which is exactly as you'd expect, a dark shimmery metallic grey-silver. Headline Colors are all about shades that match the latest trends - so offer only a capsule collection of colours at any one time. I love how pigmented the polish is and like that it is 3-free too. The formula is easy to apply and has pretty good durability too! What's not to love in a nail polish?

And a bonus set of GlossyBox nail files and Green & Black's chocolate were thrown in for good measure!

That was one seriously good box for full sizes this month. One sample amongst the five is probably the best value I've seen yet in a beauty box so money well spent in my eyes. Happy Birthday to you too GlossyBox :)

If you like the idea of subscribing to GlossyBox, then use this referral link to sign up today. 

Disclaimer - I have subscribed to GlossyBox out of my own choice and money (damn the fanciful idea of mystery beauty products delivered every month). It was my choice to review the products above and I have done so in a 100% honest manner. I am not compensated for my reviews but if you use my referral link to start a subscription then I can get points towards a free box next time... well who doesn't want free beauty stuff?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...